Sunday, September 17, 2006

KRS-ONE feat. Apocalypse "Gunplay" (1998)

I ran across this 12" on the same day as "Knowledge Reigns Supreme" b/w "French Connection". This was the era when you would automatically snatch up anything with KRS's name on it, his records were so consistent and vital.



The record bills this as a KRS-ONE song; I'd describe it as an Apocalpse joint featuring KRS, but you'd obviously get less sales that way, as I never heard Apocalypse before (or after) this joint. It's gritty, in the "ripped from a cassette mixtape" way. If you can get beyond the dirty mix, the mindless chanted chorus, and the average-at-best MC's rhyming with KRS, then you might really dig this, as KRS comes through with solid lyrics:

That's why they say KRS contradictin'
Cause they don't think philosophers hand out ass whippin'
No need for trippin, still lyric-lickin' and admittin
I'm not down with the Bulls like Scottie Pippen


That Bulls line came out of nowhere, but I'm not picky about my Chicago sports references. In the end, though, I can't see it being much more than a novelty cut, particularly relevant to people really feeling Kris' shit from the mid-90's...it's one of those cuts that got completely buried, though, so this one's for the curious. No instrumental or B-side; the identical cut appeared on both sides of the twelve.

3 Comments:

Blogger Da "Dj K Boogie" Show said...

Hello, my name is KBoogie. My cousin is Lou from AP aka Apocalypse. we have been trying to find a copy of this for a minute now. Do you think you could email me a copy @djk.info@gmail.com? Maybe I can trade you a few of there songs you never heard b4.... Please let me know either way. thanks in advance K!!!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Da "Dj K Boogie" Show said...

Hello, my name is KBoogie. My cousin is Lou from AP aka Apocalypse. we have been trying to find a copy of this for a minute now. Do you think you could email me a copy @djk.info@gmail.com? Maybe I can trade you a few of there songs you never heard b4.... Please let me know either way. thanks in advance K!!!

8:58 PM  
Blogger djespionage said...

no problem -- i just updated the link.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home