Friday, July 21, 2006

Maestro (Fresh Wes) "Death Ministry" (1996)

In retrospect, I don't know if it was good or bad that this record was my introduction to Maestro Fresh Wes. As it was, I could listen to it with an open mind; Maestro wasn't really strong lyrically, but the beat was kind of dope (and it's got my vote for most obscure KRS-1 vocal sample).


That being said, the track got some solid play in '96, and I offer it here more for the curious than as truly dope shit. What I didn't know at the time was that Maestro wasn't some random NYC indie MC putting out a record; he's actually a legend in Canada, mostly for his late-80's/early-90's material. Find a copy of "Let Your Backbone Slide" and play it for an international crowd (say, a western club in Korea or Japan). The heads that are going ape shit? They're Canadians.

Also includes the b-side, "Pushin' Wiggz Back". I don't think Maestro makes a convincing thug, but the production is solid if not dope. Includes both cuts and instrumentals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home