Sunday, July 23, 2006

World Renown "How Nice I Am" (1995)

Despite having Marley Marl's fingerprints on their debut record (and final record, as far as I know), World Renown's music is decidedly jazzy and chill. "How Nice I Am" is just about the perfect vibe for a cool summer night.



"How Nice I Am" rocks a familiar Phife Dog sample for its chorus ("Now here's a funky introduction of how nice I am"), chill rolling piano chords, and drums that are simultaneously bouncy and laid-back. Lyrics aren't "rhyme of the month"-material, but when you're rocking over a beat this chill, you can spit whatever you want as long as the flow is there. And the flow is there.

The b-side offers a remix that's a bit sparser, with a filtered bassline. It preserves the chorus of the original, and is just as chill as the original; if anything, it's sunnier (makes me want to mix in Ill Biscuit's "Chill Factor"). Includes Original with instrumental and acapella, as well as the S.I.D. remix and instrumental.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought I would see something from this group ever. They dropped that "Come Take a Ride" joint, then this and that was it. I wasn't able to download so pllllllleeeease bless me STRONG..

1:57 PM  
Blogger Haylow said...

WOW!! This one has GOT to be re-uped if possible..classic track!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

For some reason it asked me for a password when I tried to open this. I downloaded the original link, not the reupped one

3:14 PM  
Blogger rLĂ©Jean said...

My goodness, Ive been looking for this for almost 14 years. I recorded this song off of Friday Night Flavors back in 94-95 when I was 14 yearsold and a friend accidentally recorded over it a year later. My memory of the song was faint but I remembered the beat and Tribe chorus. Felt stupid when I found it since I know of World Renown and the name of the song. Over the years I kept searching the whole chorus but kept getting the Tribe song. This time I typed 'samples' at the end of it and this blog was the first on the list. Thanks a lot for uping this. Brought back so many memories. Nostalgic...

3:21 AM  
Blogger Jay Plus said...

YO!!!! Thank you so much for posting this joint. I been looking for it for a minute. A gang of my vinyl got stolen a while back and this was in one of the crates. DOPE!! Thanks again!

4:37 AM  
Blogger cotosoundsystem said...

yo the homie was just talking about this track, big ups

11:42 PM  
Blogger JonesMusic said...

Download 7 Shawn's new single "Seven" www.jonesmusicdistribution.com
Thanks!

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home