Saturday, October 14, 2006

Dr. Oop "Deep Impact" (1998)

This twelve from Dr. Oop (aka Droop Capone) was just cool. The fact that it was released on PUTS Records makes it a virtual sure-shot, and it doesn't disappoint:



My favorite joint has always been the title cut, "Deep Impact". The stuttering beat bangs its snares against a nice bassline and organ stabs, while Droop drops some thoughtful shit:

Is it all for nothin'? Am I workin' for nathan?
Can a righteous man achieve major-league communication
in the god-forsaken nation where I'm held back
as I attack with the kick-back: Deep Impact


I'll give props to any verse that uses the word "nathan", so 'nuff respect Droop. The whole cut is thorough, lyrically, and even if you're not with Droop for every line, he never stops entertaining:

Rhymes in my brain, I'm for freedom like Mumia
Abu-Jamal, that's why I couldn't kill Petu-nia
the Pig and eat 'er, I used to swig gin by the liter
Now I'm like the black Saint Peter


Check this shit out and celebrate the day you heard a Mumia Abu-Jamal, Petunia Pig, and St. Peter reference within 4 bars of each other (maybe with some gin?). There's more, though; "Just the Three of Us" predictably drops the "Just the Two of Us" chorus/melody, but the beat rides on a chill-as-f*ck piano loop and rolling drum loop. Droop is joined by PUTS to complete the "3 of us theme"; shit is tight.

The b-side contains two additional cuts, "Crunch Time" and "Supa Drupa"; instrumentals for all cuts are includes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Skalp said...

Thanks for sharing these dr oop tracks :)
I've been after this 12" for a long time but still can't find it. Anyway I can now enjoy it on my walkman! Peace

2:22 AM  
Blogger Antonio said...

thanks but... what's the password?
I can't seem to be able to open the zip file!

1:52 PM  
Blogger djespionage said...

@antonio: not sure why you're having difficulty...there's no password

8:41 AM  
Blogger Eric Nord said...

This is one of the most classic 12"s ever.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home