Sunday, April 01, 2007

Grav "Snake Bite" (1996)

Grav (aka Gravity) dropped his album ("Down to Earth") when Chicago was still mad slept on; I was living three hours away at the time, and Grav barely made any noise. Not sure what to attribute to (although my instinct is the avalanche of material in '96), but Grav had heavyweights behind the boards for this one. Dug Infinite (who was about to put in real work on Common's album) produced 3 cuts, and Kanye West contributed 8. Correct (Grav's label) ended up putting out two singles, "C'Mon" b/w "Snake Bite" being the first:



"Snake Bite" is the reason I discovered Grav in the first place. It's produced by Andy C, who is obviously neither Dug Infinite nor Kanye West, but this shit still knocks over a decade later. The track goes for sinister AND bouncy, and it works. The chopping here is masterful; a lot of producers tend to over-do it. Grav is clearly feeling it as well, and drops some tight verses, sandwiched by a spoken chorus:

ay-yo, gather round, and get caught in my swing
but watch out 'cause the industry's a venomous thing
n*ggas hold the fortress down, and keep it tight
or else you might die from the snake bite


Includes "C'mon" (radio, album, instrumental) and "Snake Bite" (radio, album, instrumental).

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Grav was ill man, I am still pleasef to say I own both the Grav and AL Tariq on vinyl...thanks for putting this up it has been a while since I have heard it, I wonder what he does these days?.

8:37 PM  
Blogger djespionage said...

well done, snatching those LPs up...still hoping i'll stumble across the Grav LP someday

8:22 PM  
Blogger OhsoKool said...

Grav's LP was dope.
I got all that stuff in the mail back in the mid 90s doing NY radio. I knew there was a reason I kept it.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Tired-N-Broke said...

yo espionage who produced "C'mon"?? that shit is hard....

T&B

4:36 PM  
Blogger MGLSM said...

Actually I did a song with Grav a year or two ago...its good. It had to grow on me.

http://dl-client1.getdropbox.com/u/34888/Work.mp3

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home