Monday, July 03, 2006

Camp Lo "Black Nostaljack (Xenobia Mix)" (1997)

I won't lie; while the peoples around me were hopping around mocking the "Camp-Lo-ahh! Camp-Lo-ahh!" routine, I thought that "Coolie Hi" shit was smooth as hell. "It's raining Alize in the sugar streets"? That was either "smooth" or "gay"; didn't seem like too many people fell in between. While "Coolie Hi" was the official jam, I always liked "Black Nostaljack", but was frustrated by the chorus ("n*gga, come on!"), something a pasty white boy like me could never participate with. So naturally the arrival of this 12" had me geeked:



Besides the alteration of the chorus ("n*gga come on" became "suga come on"), Ski's remix (aka "Xenobia Mix") highlighted the smoothness Camp Lo was all about. From the very beginning, it's clear that the production is taking the remix to a different level, with the layered strings, which dissolve to dust when the beat bangs in. From there, the bassline takes over. Gotta love this shit...give Ski his props.

[UPDATE, 7/14: Re-archived, re-upped file]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ski is straight bananas. i think uptown saturday night is in hight in my best produced albums list. i got your back on the Lo-ahh. i got the bubbly...

2:15 AM  
Blogger djespionage said...

no doubt...the production on that album and some of his remixes definately make him top-10 on my list (bahamadia's "unknowhowwedo" remix is immortal)

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home