Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Original Flavor "When I Make It" (1992)

Original Flavor was essentially about producer Ski (who went on to produce a grip of tracks for Jay-Z, and remixes for a variety of others). As an MC, Ski is average; it's all about the production. "When I Make It" is one of those tracks that could have only been a single in the early 90's, during the explosion of creativity that marked the Golden era, before the industry figured out the formula for a hit record. Sound bitter? This record isn't.



Not a particularly rare 12", but it features two tracks not available on the LP ("This Is How It Is"), which are two of Original Flavor's best. Clark Kent put together the "When I Make It (Supa Remake)", which gets the nod over the original, and is the joint that got mixshow play back in the day. On the flip-side is "Grip the Mic Tight", which is a happy uptempo cut a la the UMC's "Blue Cheese". If you can rock to lyrics like "diffy-diffy damn/giffy gonna slippy-slippy slam/don't you know who I am?", then this shit just might be your new running-man anthem. Also includes the instrumental for "When I Make It (Supa Remake)".

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping all the dopeness, keep it coming, do you have anything you are looking for?

4:34 PM  
Blogger djespionage said...

At this point, I'm looking for records I've never heard of(which I'm sure is a lot), that's why I'm loving some of these blogs posting random (vs. established classic) joints...if I can be more specific in the future, I will...thanks.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking me, dog. I only just discovered that. I'll put your address on mine, too. Nice blog. Curious for more.

2:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for all those tracks...
Most of em I haven't ever heard, since I'm French and only 18yo.

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home