Tuesday, June 13, 2006

DMX "Born Loser" (1993)

A fun game I play is trying to figure out exactly what Fatlip was thinking when he made "What's Up, Fatlip?" You could argue that it was a joke, an exaggerated persona, borne out of his undeniable creativity. The flipside is that it's a sincere documentation of a rapper who has fallen off - and is aware of it - but nobly offers himself up for ridicule, because dope or not, he's a rapper. I want to give Fatlip more credit than that, so I look at DMX's "Born Loser" as the inspiration to "What's Up, Fatlip?"



"But I f*ckin' hate DMX!" you might say. There is nothing to hate about this track; you can hear the '93 in it. The heavy break fueled by a strong bassline is matched by DMX's flow:

B*tches don't like me, they don't kiss me or hug me
They call me "kill-pretty", because I'm mad ugly
I used to get p*ssy, but I busted off quick
Now I get stunts, so I gotta beat my dick


Imagine the confusion when he reemerged barking and yelling with the RuffRyders. Or better yet, just enjoy this entertaining track for what it is; the story of an unlucky (but not wack) muthaf*cka, that you can still slip into a set of classic hip-hop. Instrumental and Dr. Ceuss Mix are included.

[UPDATE, 7/12, 10pm: Re-archived, re-upped file]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home